Thursday 10 December 2015

Where should the flooring of one room stop?

I never really pondered the question before of where flooring should stop in a room.  When we did the bathroom floor, I just blindly followed what had gone before.

I try really hard not to assume anything, but in the manic three weeks that we did the bathroom and the re-wiring and everything else, I didn't really have the brain space to question what had gone before.

It wasn't until I came to do the hallway flooring that I really thought about it.



It makes sense when you think about it.  It should lie directly under the centre of the door, so that whichever room you are in (with the door shut) you can only see one type of flooring.

So this meant a little trimming of the bathroom floor I installed way back when.

Tools I used:

  • Steel ruler
  • Chisel
  • Hammer
  • Pen
  • Utility knife
  • New door bar, trimmed to size with a hacksaw



The floor was a layer of vinyl flooring on 6mm ply, so I started with cutting through the vinyl with a craft knife.



I then used a chisel and hammer to score the plywood.


Using a screwdriver as a pivot point, I placed this under the chiseled line and pressed down on the overhanging plywood until it snapped.


And that's when I discovered this beauty of a hole! Doh!  I've since filled this in which I covered in Tuesday's post.


I then finished it off with a silver door bar simply screwed down.

So there you have it, a question answered that you probably never asked!

No comments:

Post a Comment