Saturday 17 November 2012

Not a soggy bottom... Argh!

So on Thursday I made a treacle tart for the dinner party we were going to on Friday. I've made one before but it had a soggy bottom, so I was determined not to have the same problem again.

I made sure I rolled the pastry nice and thin, added enough breadcrumbs to the golden syrup so the mixture wasn't too wet, and when I put it in the oven, I put it on a super hot baking tray.

But alas, another soggy bottom! A bakers worst nightmare!

But despite all this it tasted lovely so not all was lost. And the lattice work on top was pretty good, if I may say so myself (top tip- put the lattice pastry in the freezer rolled out for 10 mins before assembling. It means you can manipulate the pastry without it stretching and becoming mis-shapened.)

(Recipe taken from the great British bake off show stoppers recipe book and also in Mary Berry's baking bible)

P.s. forgot to take a photo before it got devoured so only have a pre-bake shot.

At said dinner party we received a pasta machine as a wedding present from some lovely friends - so exciting. So whilst not technically baking, hopefully I will be trying my hand at homemade pasta sometime soon. Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment